Saturday, January 12, 2008

Last Days...

It was some time between 30 and 31st December 2007. Usually for my devotion, I would follow a guide where a passage is considered for each day. For that particular day, I was caught in a timing which is nowhere. Close to 31st but 30th has not end. So I decided to just read both the days' text. I didn't get the time to do some serious reflection and making of new year resolution but those words from God really aligned me to His direction for 2008.

Luke 12:35-40- Be dressed in readiness, and keep yours lamps lit. Be like men who are waiting for their master when he returns from the wedding feast. so that they may immediately open the door to him when he comes and knocks...... But be sure of this, that if the head of the house have known at what hour theif was coming, he would not have allowed his house to be broken into. You too, be ready; for the Son of Man is coming at tan hour that you do not expect.

I was kind of puzzled when I read this, wondering why would God speak to me about this. Nevertheless, I moved on to the next passage.

Psalm 23:5-6- You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;You have anointed my head with oil; My cups overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

This passage made sense to me because for the past 2007, I never did realise this part of the psalm though it's familiar. I have been living my life on my own too much, too much that God that seemed very much in the picture is found nowhere. I have literally kept God in my closet when life could have been much better if I lived my life with His strength. I have learnt my lesson again and I do hope I will not step on my foot again in the future.

I retired to bed after doing my devotion though I still couldn't understand why God gave me Luke 12. On 31st, I went to the watchnight service in my church. People were anticipating much and the supposed- to- be two hour meeting strecthed on to 4 hours. The speaker finally took over the meeting at about 11pm. I was waiting eagerly for the message. He was speaking on the urgency of spreading the gospel. Things mentioned in the Bible of the end times were fulfilled one by one and we have known of that. But what are our responses towards these happenings. This message appealed especially to me because he cleared my doubts on why Luke 12 was given to me that night. God was simply telling me to live my days as if its my last. It made sense to me now.

Today, I read from Psalm 90. This are verses that again lights up my pathway towards 2008.

Who understands the power of your anger.
And Your fury, according to the fear that is due You.

If only I can fully fathom the depths of these words of Moses. Transformation would definitely take place. I look forward to exploring this year. A year which I pray that I can be a more effective witness for Him. My service for Him should be an expression of my outpouring of his overflowing love in my heart an not the otherwise. And of course, a new year resolution that was carried forth from year to year, Taming My Tongue, an area that I have failed time and again.

"Use your mustard-seed-faith!!!"

No comments: